Sorry for the lack of activity here. My recent projects have been more suited to the Fail blog than the Goth It Yourself blog. :P
Fail 1: Door trim
I had great plans to replace the trim around the doors in my bedroom. Removing the old trim went smoothly. Then the fail began. First, I attempted a fun paint treatment… which did not work at all. I repainted the trim and then proceeded to install it… incorrectly. :( And of course, I glued the trim to the wall, so this fail will be difficult to remedy.
Fail 2: Faucet handles
The cold water faucet in my shower suddenly began to offer only two choices – a tiny drip or Niagara Falls. Adjusting the water for a comfortable temperature was nearly impossible. Then the cold water began spontaneously turning itself off entirely. As my goal was bathing myself, not boiling myself, this situation required immediate attention.
Rather than just replace the cold water stem, I decided to take the opportunity to replace the entire set of clunky, ugly old faucet handles. I bought a set of lovely brushed nickel cross handles with “universal” fit. And technically they did fit – they successfully turned the water off and on – but they left two inches of the bare stem showing. I tried again with a different handle kit that included shorter stems… which would not fit into my current plumbing.
In the end, I just replaced the cold water stem and stuck the ugly handles back on. Not a total fail as I do have control over the cold water again... but not the successful change to pretty handles I was hoping for. :/
Fail 3: Light bulb
I tried to unscrew a burned-out light bulb in my ceiling fan… and it broke off in the socket. If it were a lamp, I could just unplug it and remove the bulb base with pliers. But of course it’s a ceiling fan, which is hard-wired into the house electricity. And of course I have no idea which breaker controls the fan, so I’ll have to shut off power to the entire house in order to replace the $*!@!(# light bulb.
I did manage to eke out one success… I replaced the flapper in my toilet! Woo-hoo! The replacement itself was fast and easy. It was taking everything out of the over-the-toilet cabinet, unscrewing it from the wall, detaching it from the base so that I could get to the toilet tank, reattaching it to the base, screwing it to the wall, and putting everything back in the cabinet that was time-consuming.
I remind myself to be grateful for small victories and hope to soon post about a successful project! Or at least an interesting fail. ;)