Friday, April 21, 2017

Meal Delivery Service

If I ever win the lottery (which is quite unlikely as I don't play the lottery) or somehow come to possess huge amounts of money, I will hire a personal chef to cook healthy meals for me every day.

Until then, I have decided to try a meal delivery service. I chose Freshly, which provides refrigerated meals that only need to be heated in the microwave. It's working very well for me.

How Freshly works:
  • Meals are healthy – no artificial stuff, no gluten, no added sugar.
  • Depending on quantity ordered, meals are about $10 each.
  • You choose your meals from a menu of about 25 choices.
  • Meals are delivered once a week. 
  • Meals are not frozen, so they taste fresh.
  • Meals are fully cooked; you just heat them in the microwave.
Why Freshly is great for me:
  • I can specifically choose my meals. This is critical for me because I am a picky eater.
  • No meal prep is required. This is critical for me because I hate to cook.
  • Each meal is a hearty portion of food within a reasonable calorie count.
  • I get more variety in my diet. I order six meals per week, which provides dinner almost every night with a nice variety of meals. I would never get that variety (fish, chicken, pasta, rice, different veggies…) cooking for myself because (1) I can barely boil water, much less make chicken parmesan and (2) buying all the ingredients would cost too much. It's expensive to buy small portions at the grocery store (and a hassle; I can't buy just one fish fillet without having the seafood department package it up special for me) and even if I buy small portions, foods go bad before I can eat them unless I eat the same thing five days in a row.
  • Most of the meals are very tasty. I’ve tried about a dozen, and only disliked a couple of them… which is pretty remarkable considering how picky I am.

When I thought about trying a meal delivery service, one concern I had was packaging. I didn’t want to be dumping a box of Styrofoam peanuts into the trash every week. Freshly’s packaging is environmentally friendly. What’s really nifty is they use insulation made of recycled denim. I take the plastic wrapper off the insulation and recycle it along with any other plastic bags. I could then throw the insulation away relatively guilt-free; it’s just shredded denim and  biodegradable. But I’ve been saving the insulation because it can easily be reused.

Opening the box reveals the top layer of insulation.

Under the top layer of insulation is an ice pack.

Under the ice pack is the food. And under the food is another ice pack.

There are two pieces of insulation, one that folds around top to bottom, and one that folds around side to side.

I cut the wrappers open and just slide the denim insulation out. The wrappers go with other plastic bags to be recycled.

The food is packed in a tray inside a cardboard sleeve which shows the ingredients, calories, etc. on the back. I just slide off the cardboard and microwave the food in the tray.

The portions are plentiful.



This is not a sponsored post. I am simply sharing information about my experience with Freshly.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this up! Im in total agreement on the whole if you have the money to afford a cook thing as well. I don't think I would have a huge mansion that I couldn't enjoy because I would be so tired just trying to get from my bedroom to the kitchen, but I sure would have a cook on payroll just for the fact that I could have well made healthy meals that I don't have to cook myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a mansion would be a bad idea for me. I can barely keep track of all the ideas I have for my little house. Three or five times the house would be three or five times the ideas... my brain would be overwhelmed and short circuit. ;)

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of anything like it! It's insane how ordering this costs you less than buying the ingredients in a supermarket. This would have probably been a cheaper option in Israel too, as supermarkets are crazy expensive there as well. I am so happy for food being super cheap in Berlin, this is how things should be!
    Man, I really hate cooking myself, nice to hear this works for you as well. It's the future! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unhealthy processed foods are cheap here, especially when bought in large quantities. Healthy foods such as fresh fruit are much more expensive. (And 2/3 of Americans are overweight... gee, what a coincidence...)

      Delete
  3. I had not heard of this service. Thanks for sharing, I will check it out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of a meal delivery service, I'm not great at getting cooking done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I enjoyed cooking... but I doubt that will ever be.

      Delete
  5. I don't cook either...I don't really even have a kitchen. $10 for a microwave meal sounds crazy to me, though. Granted I live in NYC where there are a lot of cheap healthy restaurants...But still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, doesn't whole foods have healthy microwave meals?

      Delete
    2. $10 would be crazy for a Lean Cuisine type microwave meal. I think it's less crazy for a fresh (not frozen) dinner delivered to my house. I could get a reasonably healthy dinner at a fast casual place for $7 or $8, but I'd have to go to the restaurant and pick it up. Spending a few extra dollars saves me six trips a week.

      Could I eat cheaper meals? Absolutely. But for me, the convenience - no cooking, no trips to restaurants or grocery stores - is worth the extra cost. It's a matter of perspective and priority... waiting in line to pay $4 for a coffee seems nuts to me.

      Delete