Friday, January 6, 2017

New Glasses

I recently ordered new glasses from Zenni Optical. It might seem odd to buy glasses without trying them on, but the Zenni site allows you to upload a photo of yourself and virtually try on glasses that way.

It also has a selection of faces available, and conveniently, one of them resembles me - dark hair with bangs - enough that I didn't upload my photo. I already had a good idea of what styles work for me anyway, as I've been wearing glasses for many years.

My main challenge is finding frames that aren't too wide for my narrow face. I determined the width of my existing glasses and used that to choose frames.

One frame is a black metal half-rim with decorative temples.
Zenni frame 690821
I'd never had half-rim glasses before, but I think I like them.

They're pretty simple from the front, but have a nice decorative design on the sides.

The other frame is a black metal full-rim with an interesting shape.
Zenni frame 595021
In general, I like them, though I wish the lenses were just a bit taller.



Zenni's selection of styles is extensive, and even better, easy to search based on color and size. However, I was initially pretty skeptical because their prices are so low. Their frames are generally less than $30, which includes the lenses. Frames at retail optical shops are easily $200+.

But after receiving my glasses, I have nothing but the highest praise. My order arrived quickly, and the lenses are precisely correct.

This is not a sponsored post. I'm just sharing my experience. :)

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing because I have been wanting to get new glasses since my old ones are rather scratched up and well over 10 years old. The ones you found look really great on you, and so that gives me hope that I will find some that might look nice on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at the size and variety of their selection. I had trouble narrowing my choices down to just two.

      Delete
  2. My face is so narrow that back when I wore glasses (yay laser eye surgery!), I frequently wore children's frames and still will wear children's sunglasses. I kept joking whenever I went to the eye doctor, this was the time I was finally going to get Scooby-Doo frames.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to think about doing something and then see that someone who's opinion I trust has tried it and has good things to say. I'll have to check them out after I update my prescription. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely worth checking out. And with frames at only $15 or $20, you're not risking much to try them.

      Delete
  4. You're going to love those half frames, which look awesome on you by the way. I had a pair that I loved because the bottom was "open" and allowed me to read or work on the computer without seeing the frame. You don't notice the frame until it's gone and when it's gone, it's glorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Good point about the frame! Because I've mostly worn contacts, I never got accustomed to glasses and I'm overly aware of the frame.

      Delete
  5. The first ones are my favourite, they suit your face just a tad better. I also love the fancy detail on the sides!

    I recently tried a German equivalent to Zenni and was positively surprised. Although I was able to try t´he glasses on first - they send them to you, you try them on and send them back with your numbers to make them personal. Mine are the blach ubiquitous hipster glasses, but only cost 40 Euros. A great deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a company here that works the same way - they send frames for you to try on. But their selection is mostly the trendy styles, which are too wide for my face.

      Delete
  6. Their both a goregous pair of glasses. I love that style and the are are beautifully detailed.I find this style harder to find as the geek and 60's style are prevalent.I'm still clinging to my old pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I looked at two other online optical shops, and almost all of their frames are the hipster and keyhole styles. Zenni has a lot more variety.

      Delete
  7. I think both look really cute. I also love Zenni optical, good idea is to get their prescription sunglasses also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I did get prescription sunglasses, and I love them. :) A lot of prescription sunglasses are really just amber-tinted glasses, and that is not sufficient in the harsh sun here. The ones I got from Zenni are polarized and a dark 90% tint.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE Zenni. I love how they have some eccentric styles in addition to the more classic frames, like you have (which look great on you btw).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Zenni's range is pretty impressive... everything from Mr. Businessman to Artsy Fashionista.

      Delete
  9. Ooo, those are really nice!
    I feel you on the narrow face thing, I think my current glasses are child sized xD
    Last year during WGT I saw a booth selling gothy glasses, they were called Fledermausbrille! So tempted, but they were so expensive..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Fledermausbrille! I learned of them from Ramona at justkeepbrains.com. She rocks the bat wing shaped glasses and looks absolutely amazing. My face and style are too plain to do them justice.

      Delete
  10. They look great! My face is kind of narrow too, I did find glasses eventually but my sunglasses look borrowed because I need them polarized and cheap and there's not much too choose from in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My non-prescription sunglasses have rhinestones, which isn't really "me," but I found few options that fit my criteria: big without being ridiculous, polarized, and very dark.

      Delete
  11. Your glasses are fantastic! I really like Zenni, that's where I bought my glasses and sunglasses and have really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete