Sunday, January 8, 2017

A Painting Injury

Yesterday I began working on my Craft Along with GIY project. I am making dog beds out of end tables. The first step was to apply a coat of primer.

Just as I was finishing the second table, sharp pain shot through my lower back. I could barely stand up.

I had hurt my back painting.

Wow. I am in such poor shape, I hurt my back sitting on the floor painting.

I once read an article by a man who stated that a person's life expectancy is directly correlated to how easily he/she can rise up from sitting on the floor.

If that's true, I think I have about two weeks to live.

Seriously... I am horribly unfit. This incident motivates me even more to improve my diet and exercise. I have decided on a plan of action to help me overcome the obstacles (aka excuses).

My hurdles/excuses for exercise are I dislike gyms and I hate being outside in the sun. To overcome those, I will work out at home. As a starting point, I have purchased an exercise bike.

My hurdle for diet is I hate to cook. For me, cooking is far more trouble than it's worth, and the result is terrible no matter how hard I try. So I end up eating frozen pizza and fast food. In an effort to improve my diet, I'm going to try a meal delivery service.

Hopefully, I can discipline myself to stick to the plan. I never again want to be in this absurd situation of having to nurse a painting injury.

10 comments:

  1. Get well soon! Hurting your back can happen anytime and at every age, so although it will probably not hurt (pun not intended) to put some more emphasis on health. For your food issues: Maybe you can use ready meals which have no artificial ingredients? Or precut veggies and just add pasta or rice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The meal delivery service I'm going to try provides healthy meals that are all natural. I do make veggie pasta and steam veggies, though not as often as I should.

      Delete
  2. I would just recommend yoga it helps with body strength so much and flexibility. But I also understand the excuses part, because I am always making excuses as well. But I do hope you find a nice way that works for you, like yoga and pizza for example, to just get you going. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I think yoga would be beneficial for me. I used to be very flexible, and I hate that I've lost that.

      Delete
  3. Sounds painful, as young but constant suffer of back pain. It sounds as though you need to improve the your core strength muscles and careful how how you lift things, in real life situ it's not always possible. sounds. When I used to do Yoga all pain subsided and getting out of health care helped.

    I'm trying to eat more healthy too sometime I can't be bothered cooking and frozen pizza and chips is always a good option. Then again most of the week me and partner have a proper evening meals usually chicken, carrots, bean pods, and potato. Not exciting it's alot better then we stuffed our self with ready meals.

    I can understand the thought of cooking for one is a nightmare. I used to do a baulk cook. But sometimes the local subway was to alluring. My comfort used to be toast, tins of spaghetti hoops and tins sardines, quite re vaulting. I can't explain the allure of it.

    Sorry for my long ramblings hope your feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to improve my core strength. I wasn't even lifting anything and still managed to hurt my back.

      Cooking for one is not easy. I have a couple of recipes I occasionally cook, but they make several servings and I have to eat the same thing every day for a week. :P

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, back pain is the worst! The exercise bike at home is a good start.

    I went to the gym for about 8 months last year, but I hated touching the machines cause nobody wiped off after except me! Yuuck! So now I'm trying to discipline myself to go down in the basement and use the weight bench, but it's just too easy to grab a coffee, sit down and start knitting instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ick! Yeah, that is a very unappealing aspect of gyms. Plus I don't feel comfortable in crowded places, especially around here where all the people are athletic and incredibly fit. I feel like a blobby walrus in a room full of sleek racehorses. :P

      Delete
  5. If its any consolation, my Dad once put his back out by trying to twist around the cat after it had fallen asleep on his bed. It's more about posture than how strenuous the activity is.

    Inverness has outdoor 'gyms' - exercise equipment in the local parks. I'm too far away to use it now, though! :P

    I need to get back into exercising regularly myself, but that's going to be to sports clubs rather than to a gym. I hate going to the gym, but I don't mind exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. But I'd feel less ridiculous if it had been a more strenuous activity.

      Similar for me... I like being active, but hate going to the gym.

      Delete