Friday, December 16, 2016

My Life as a Cranky, Nauseated Sloth

When I last received my medication from the mail order pharmacy, I opened the bottle to discover a different type of pill than usual. It was the same medication, just a generic from a different manufacturer. I assumed it would work the same.

But I began to feel lethargic. I had trouble focusing on any thought or task... other than sleeping. I slept constantly but had disturbing dreams. My blood sugar kept falling and I was irritable. I felt nauseated most of the time.

I had somehow become a cranky, nauseated sloth.

I told myself it was all in my head; the medication should work the same. I get over-the-counter generics for headache or sinus medications, and they work the same no matter where I buy them. This one should be no different.

After a week, I gave up this delusion. The meds were not only not working, they were causing unbearable side effects.

I called the mail order pharmacy and learned that they cannot provide generic pills from any specific manufacturer; they can only send whatever they have in stock (which is whatever they got the best price on, of course).

So I had to go to my local pharmacy to transfer the prescription and get medication that actually works. Then I had to wait three days while the pharmacy and the doctor's office argued with the insurance company, which did not want to pay for a prescription to be filled at local pharmacy.

I finally got the meds from the local pharmacy today. I very much hope I can get back to living my life as usual... including projects and blog posts! Sloths are cute, but they don't get much done. ;)

Speaking of sloths... Has anyone seen Zootopia? The scene with the sloths had me laughing out loud. Having once spent three hours in the Arlington, Virginia DMV, I found that scene to be particularly hilarious. :D

26 comments:

  1. Hope you start feeling better soon. And I also was laughing at the sloth scene too. My daughters always like impersonating the sloths from Zootopia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sloths at the DMV was a brilliant idea.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's infuriating that doctors have to argue with insurance companies over their patients' treatment.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about that shitty experience. Hopefully, you'll no longer will be a cranky sloth lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope my sloth days are behind me!

      Delete
  4. Goth sloth :D Dear, to think a little different proportions of substances in medicine make such big differences, it's scary. It's good everything turned out okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never have expected one type of generic to be so radically different than another. It was quite the unpleasant experience.

      Delete
  5. My doctor said that even though generics are supposed to be medically equivalent, the inactive ingredients can be different. For her patients that are more sensitive, she refuses to allow the pharmacy to supply generics. So for most people, it's fine, but not everyone. I've had this issue too, which is why she told me this.

    Sad when money is more important than the health of the patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you recover from this fiasco quickly!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I know someone who has had an issue with the brand vs. generic on her blood pressure medication. In my case, it was generic vs. generic - what I normally take is a generic, but from a different manufacturer. But it's the same principle... likely different inactive ingredients and definitely not medically equivalent.

      I hate that insurance companies have so much control over people's medical treatment.

      Delete
  6. Insurance companies should be lined up and shot, just on general principle... My husband has had similar issues with "name" vs. generic meds, and it's not fun. Hope you are feeling de-slothed and more yourself very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The medical insurance system is terrible. Some person who has never met me and has no medical training making decisions about my health care... it's infuriating.

      Delete
    2. Infuriating, yes, but also dangerous! We really DO need a better system, but I haven't yet heard of one that isn't profit-motivated in one way or another. There's always something wrong somewhere.

      Delete
  7. I would have never thought a generic would work differently either! Good thing you went in and checked it out, and hopefully the new meds will get you back to your normal self quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know generics are not identical, but the drastic difference was a real surprise, especially since what I had been taking was also a generic.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I hope you are feeling better already. Here in Germany, doctors can specifically perscribe a drug (or a specific genericum) by marking it on the prescription. But that might be very different in the US...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It generally works the same here. The local pharmacy was happy to order the generic from a specific manufacturer. However, the mail-order pharmacy associated with my health insurance will not provide a specific generic. Their customer service is terrible anyway, so I'll just stay with the local pharmacy from now on.

      Delete
  9. Hope you already feel better, and yes - Zootopia is a great film, I love the scenes with the shrews more :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, the shrews are awesome. :D

      Delete
  10. Medication-induced sloth is terrible! Recover soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am starting to feel better.

      Delete
  11. Ugh, I hope you will feel better again soon! I dont know about usa but here in germany doctors can particularly write it has to be from a special company but one has to ask them and sometimes they will argue and all that. health poblems are horrible anyways -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am feeling better. It generally works the same here; a doctor can specify a brand or generic. But this particular mail order pharmacy will not differentiate between generics. So I will just go elsewhere.

      Delete