The original white toilet bowl was connected to a newer beige tank. Or the original beige tank was connected to a newer white bowl. Whichever... the toilet had a white bowl and a beige tank. Evidently there was a problem with the toilet at some point, and the previous homeowner replaced only half of it.
The floor consisted of mismatched beige tiles. I don't know if it was supposed to be a design feature, or if the previous homeowner just didn't bother to find 25 matching tiles. The grout was brown and thus looked perpetually dirty.
The tub/shower was the one bright spot. The tub, tiles, and grout were all white and all in good shape.
Next, the mirror had to go. I hated it because the bottom cabinet portion got in my way when I tried to bend over the sink to wash my face.
I replaced it with a simple, rectangular mirror with black frame.
I replaced the outdated light fixture...
with a more stylish one.
with a nice fan/light combo fixture.
When the cold water in the shower began to spontaneously turn itself off, it was time to address the tub/shower controls. To fix them properly and to bring the plumbing up to code, I needed to have a new anti-scald valve installed along with new single-handle controls. I hired a plumber for this work because it required cutting a fairly large hole in the tile and then changing the plumbing within the wall.
The plumber installed the new valve and new handle, using a remodeling plate to cover the hole in the tile. It looks pretty nice; more importantly, the new handle works much better than the old ones.
After the new handle and faucet were installed, I painted the worn-looking showerhead pipe and escutcheon...
a coordinating satin nickel color.
With all of the relatively easy changes made, it was time for the hard work - replacing the flooring, toilet, and vanity, sink and faucet. Part 2 post coming soon!