Saturday, July 16, 2016

Mutant Superpower

My mutant superpower is hair color retention. I dye my hair, and the color never fades. I dyed my hair black seven years ago. Since then, I have dyed only the new growth... yet the ends of my hair are the same dark black as the recently dyed hair. With me, the claims on the hair dye box become true... it really is PERMANENT dye. :P This permanence is great... unless I want to change the color.

Bored of solid black, I went to the hair stylist to try for a black-to-purple ombre type color (if she could get the black dye to budge).

The bleaching process went surprisingly well. The color lifted to orange with only one round of bleach. Then on went the purple dye... and my mutant superpower went into effect. Every strand of hair united to GRAB ALL THE PIGMENT! So instead of rinsing out to a nice bluish purple, the color stayed super dark.

After my 4-hour salon visit, my hair looked...

basically the same! :P (Well, except it got frizzy when I walked to my car in the rain.)

There is definitely purple in there. When I shampoo, the lather rinses out a beautiful shade of bright purple. If only my hair were that color!

I'm told it will fade, and the purple will become more obvious. But I can practically hear my hairs saying, "Fade?! Muahahaha! We shall never fade! We shall retain every particle of pigment for all eternity!"

14 comments:

  1. The ends look more like a faded black in that second picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's partly due to the camera flash. I was standing closer to the flash to try to catch the purple, which is just barely visible.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Indeed. My stylist will need to come up with a different battle plan next time.

      Delete
  3. My hair is the same, unfortunately it does as it feels. My hair hates being black, despite using permanent dye. My hair prefers being red. I refuse to get my hair trimmed either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is not selective about color; it will happily hold whatever color is put on it.

      Delete
  4. You call that frizz?!
    Takes me at least a half hour to rassle my frizz down to a "intentionally messy" look lolz. Prone to gross feeling mats and all, and my hair care routine is borderline OC lol.

    I think you're very lucky to be able hold onto color that long-- if I could somehow conquer the frizz, I'd consider coloring, heheh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! My frizz busting routine is based on enormous amounts of conditioner and a flat iron. The bleaching did some damage, so now it'll be even more conditioner!

      Delete
  5. Arghh, I think you were invaded by the Evil Hair Trolls...

    Keeping my fingers crossed that it DOES fade to purple eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had this problem! My hair eats hair dye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm frustrated with it now, but it's better than the alternative.

      Delete
  7. The problem isn't your hair, it's the dye. If your hair lifted to orange, and you put in purple, worst case is you get brown... That's if you are using cheap dye with not a lot of pigment. Otherwise you'd get magenta to purple, depending on the orange and the quality of the dye. You'd never get pitch black. Your colorist did the formulation wrong. Black with a couple of drops of purple, black with a few drops on inferior dye. and if it isn't washing out, you're stuck with it, I'm afraid. You can try bleaching again, but it may not do much, and the damage may not be worth it. Box dyes give you the blackest black, but are impossible to remove! I used to be a colorist, and some other hairstylists would refuse to color anyone with a box-colored hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a formulation issue, and there was no black in the dye. The colorist used Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids in Violet straight from the tube.

      Dye doesn't wash out of my hair, so I'll have to resort to bleaching again at some future date.

      Delete