Thursday, July 28, 2016

Disappointments

I regret I haven't had much to post about lately. And unfortunately, I may need to take another hiatus from blogging. Things haven't been going well for me.

I was expecting some good things this summer:
Finish redoing my bathroom
Have my patio replaced
Have my yard landscaped

What I am receiving instead is a series of disappointments. :(

I bought a cabinet for my bathroom. Two attempts to paint it failed. I bought a new cabinet and tried a third paint method... which worked. Based on that success, I bought a sink cabinet. (Not an easy feat getting it home. Two Home Depot employees barely shoehorned it into my car, and I had to take it apart to get it out of the car.) I added decorative wood onlays and feet, and then I painted it using the same successful method... except it wasn't successful on the sink cabinet. The primer did not grip and the paint chipped off easily.

Supremely frustrated, I abandoned the idea of having what I really wanted in my bathroom: decorative black cabinets. I needed a cabinet of some sort, but I could not face the ordeal of trying to get another large, heavy cabinet home. The solution was IKEA. I bought a cabinet which is white and very plain, but was easy to carry, load in and out of my car, and assemble. It should also be easy to install... but my bathroom's existing plumbing is too wonky. I will have to hire a plumber.

As mentioned in a previous post, I had a new stamped concrete patio put in last month. Now the damn thing is cracking. A six-week-old patio is cracking! There are cracks that are three and four feet long. They continue to grow and new cracks continue to form. I cannot even express how disappointed I am.

My employer pays a bonus at the beginning of August. I planned to use mine to have my yard landscaped. The poor state of my yard has been gnawing at me for five years. I look at my yard (and now my patio, too), and I seriously want to cry. I was so excited to FINALLY be able to do something about it.

But it's not going to happen.

Because I need to have surgery.

Just when I was starting to improve after not feeling well for nearly three months... a health issue from my past resurfaced. It means surgery and about three weeks recovery time, which means I won't be in any shape to hire a landscaper and monitor the work. And at least some of my bonus will be going toward medical bills.

I have a new boss at work, which is not a disappointment but does cause me some stress simply because getting to know a new person is always stressful for me. Now I will have the additional stress of preparing to be out of work for three weeks. I'm hardly mission-critical, but my sense of responsibility drives me to try to ensure that my absence causes as little disruption as possible.

Lastly... adding injury to insult... two days ago, I tried to move the cursed heavy sink cabinet out of the way, and I strained my back. It hurts when I sit still and hurts even more when I move.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get in bed and pull the covers over my head.

24 comments:

  1. Damn. Bummer after bummer after bummer. Hope all goes well with your surgery. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about this, especially when I just discovered your blog. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Happy to have you here. :) I'll get back to proper blogging before too long.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your disappointment, hun, h take care see you soon. Just remember you're admired and loved whether or not we've met in person. Take care and look forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is so nice of you to say. :)

      Delete
  4. ARGH!! I am so sorry dear. So very sorry. I hope your surgery goes well and you have a quick recovery <3 Though you're disappointed with the housing things, take care of yourself first as that is more important! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I'll get myself fixed up, then get back to fixing up the house. ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh jeez, that sucks. I hope the surgery goes well and you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's awful. I'm so sorry. I hope that the preparations for your absence go well, that the surgery goes well and recovery is good for you. I also hope that these horrible household things that are plaguing you go away soon. Take care of yourself and we will all be waiting eagerly for news and updates on your well-being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love my little old fixer-upper, but sometimes I secretly wish I had a low-maintenance new house. ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh Bane! I am so sorry that your summer has been filled with disappointments and now a surgery! Please take care of yourself. May your surgery and recovery go well, and that everything starts behaving soon. Sending lots and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crud... wish there was something to say.
    I wonder if there's something you can file for the patio? If it's already cracking that badly, seems like something you can claim.

    I hope above all else though that you'll have a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same concrete company did an awesome job on my driveway last year, so it's a terrible surprise to have such problems with the patio. I sent pictures to the owner; I'll just have to see how he responds.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  9. I hope surgery goes well, it's sort of adds insult to injury to have to spend all your money on it, doesn't it? Sorry the diys have been a mess, it happens to me all the time, you'll get back there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How insanely frustrating! It seems that sometimes, no matter what we do, we move backwards. Keep your chin up and pet those doggies. Things will eventually improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Doggies do make things better. :)

      Delete
  11. Sounds like the Garbage Truck of Life is dumping on your house this year! But you WILL get through this, no matter what. Sending positive energy that your surgery goes well, your back heals, and the concrete company fixes your patio problems for little/no extra charge. And I'm also sending as many hugs as you think you might need. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Stinky, rotten garbage. :( Thanks so much!

      Delete
  12. Oh damn, that is a lot of things to work on at the same time! Take your time, hoping you will find the energy you need!

    ReplyDelete