Monday, March 21, 2016

Adulting

The last few days, I did a lot of adulting. You know, being grown-up and responsible and such. Doesn't make for exciting blog material... but necessary sometimes. ;)

I received my new glasses (from Zenni Optical - review forthcoming). I'd needed a new prescription for the first time in over a decade. Nothing like blurry vision to make you feel old adult. My eyes were apparently upset with the change and expressed their displeasure by giving me a two-day headache... which meant I didn't get much done on those days.

I reviewed my finances and insurance. I made some changes to my car insurance which will save me $225 per year. (Car insurance is expensive in Colorado. :( Too many cars ice skating into ditches, perhaps.) I also changed my homeowners insurance, which will save me $400 per year.

I continued the process of refinancing my house. My monthly payment will be about the same, but I'll save many thousands of dollars over the life of the loan (assuming I live here for 20 years...).

After an issue with a dishonest customer disservice rep, I talked to the cable company's "customer loyalty" department and ended up with a discount which will save me $10 per month on my internet service.

Having found ways to save money, I then looked at ways to spend it. ;) I got a quote from the concrete contractor about replacing my back patio. Now that I have two younger, more energetic dogs, I will be spending more time in the back yard.

And thanks to those dogs, I finally ordered a special license plate: Adopt a Shelter Pet. Now that I have adopted pets from a shelter, I won't feel like a hypocrite having the plate. :)

12 comments:

  1. Good job! I love saving money, hate adulting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saving money: Good. Adulting: RUN AWAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It always seems to involve spending money.

      Delete
  4. Yay, I love the number plate!

    Glad you saved money and good job with the adulting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Some of the plate fee goes to the animal overpopulation fund, which is awesome. And the colors are nicer than the dull green of regular plates... so that's a little bonus. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh god, I have a whole TO DO list full of adulting that is not getting done.....I just recently adopted a shelter pet! I will have to put him on my blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Would love to see your new pet. :D

      Delete