Monday, February 1, 2016

Black-on-Black Dresser Part 3

And now the conclusion of our dresser makeover! (See part 1 and part 2.) We have finished painting everything...

Now it's time to add the stenciling. Use a gloss or semi-gloss sheen in the same color as the matte paint used on the drawer fronts. I used Behr Premium Plus Ultra in "Black."

Use a stencil of your choice. For a continuous, overall pattern, a wall and floor stencil works well. I used "Victorian Baroque" from Stencil Ease (available from Amazon).

While not a requirement, stencil adhesive will make the process much easier (especially if your dresser has curved drawers!). I used Krylon Easy-Tack spray.

Before you begin stenciling the dresser, I strongly recommend practicing on cardboard. Adhere the stencil in place. Load your roller lightly with paint and gently roll over the stencil. Practice will indicate how much pressure to use. Too much paint or too much pressure will cause the paint to leak underneath the stencil. Once you feel comfortable on cardboard, use the same process on your dresser.

I'm sorry I couldn't get photos of the actual stenciling process. I don't have enough hands! :( But there are lots of tutorials online.

Stencil the sides of the dresser. Stencil the top if desired.

And stencil the drawer fronts.

Next, cut liner for the drawers. Adhesive shelf paper works well, or you can use wrapping paper. I used silver wrapping paper. For regular rectangular drawers, you can simply measure the bottom of the drawer and cut the paper to size. Curved drawers are trickier. I made a pattern (the purple paper shown below). I traced it onto the back of my wrapping paper and then cut the wrapping paper along the lines.

Place liner in each of the drawers.

Attach the knobs/handles/pulls.

Slide the drawers into place... and your dresser is complete!

Here's the before and after:

I used the same gloss-over-matte technique on a chest of drawers.

24 comments:

  1. Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold the phones-- wow!! This is AMAZING!
    I'm crazy about that black on black! This looks like it's thousands of dollars, you queen of DIY!

    Most inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :D I'm really pleased with the look of the matte and gloss black.

      Delete
  2. Wow, so awesome!

    Do you have problems with the wrapping paper tearing or getting rumpled?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't had any problems. The paper is a heavier weight and thus harder to tear or rumple than regular wrapping paper would be. Plus the drawers are pretty full, so I'm rarely scraping the bottom, so to speak.

      Delete
  3. Wowwzav bane you do it again I love it, love it. It looks amazing in awe of your creativity.v

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! That is gorgeous!!! I was jealous before the paint job and now I'm swooning. That is spectacular. This tutorial is also perfect for me as I'll be attempting to redo some of our dressers to extend their lives now that we're redoing the house. You do amazing and gorgeous work Bane. Your dresser looks like it would've cost a few paychecks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am always glad when my posts are helpful. It's very rewarding to make a thrift store piece look pretty and unique... and I love to share that. :)

      Delete
  5. What a transformation! It's just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was an adventure. Thanks so much for this.
    The final product ended up being awesome. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing, Bane! Why are you not in business selling these things? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always very impressed about your GIY. You turn mundane furniture into pieces of art!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic!!! You really should be an interior decorator AND sell this stuff. I can think of tons of goths who would be lining up outside your shop/house/stand/whatever!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so wonderful! Better than I have seen in a store! I want!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy smokes, Bane! What a beautiful redo! Gawds you're talented!!!

    ReplyDelete