Sunday, July 12, 2015

Update

The week since my last post seemed to fly by.

I went to the orthodontist for the final stage of prep. Instead of making impressions of my teeth, they used a wand-like digital camera/scanner to take what seemed like 100 images from every possible angle. The result was a remarkable 3D computer image of my teeth which will be used to design and create my aligners. I should have them in about two weeks.

I went to the dermatologist to see what can be done about my various skin complaints.

Unfortunately, these appointments turned out to be ill-timed. Work was especially hectic due to some last-minute scheduling tasks and two sets of budget deadlines. After losing a few work hours to the appointments, I felt rushed and a bit overwhelmed all week. But I didn't miss any critical deadlines, and by Friday afternoon I had once again wrestled the Monstrous Workload Beast into submission.

I picked up the new bathroom vanity that I ordered a couple weeks ago. That was quite an ordeal! It was too heavy for me to lift into my car... if it would even fit through the car door. A very nice customer insisted on helping, and he and the stock clerk together were able to maneuver it into my car. I drove home fearing I'd never get it out of the car. But I didn't have to lift it up, just pull it out and control its descent to the ground. I was BARELY strong enough to do that and then carry it into the house.

I took advantage of cloud cover yesterday afternoon to do some yard work. I trimmed back the gigantic metropolis of irises that was spilling over into my neighbors' driveway. Just as I was finishing, I felt a jolt of pain in my lower back. UGH! I swear I am cursed... everything I do to my yard turns into a disaster. I must be the only person on the planet who can hurt her back cutting flowers. :P

I made my way to the grocery store to get an ice pack. Hobbling down the aisle, I was surprised to hear "Walk Away" by The Sisters of Mercy start playing. The store has recently begun piping in music I quite like; mostly '80s and early '90s, which causes me to feel old but does make shopping more enjoyable. I've heard The Cure there... but The Sisters of Mercy!?  :D

I wanted to paint the bathroom today, but my back still hurts. I'm not sure if I'll be able to accomplish much.

12 comments:

  1. that is so cool they played the Cure and The Sisters Of Mercy. I heard Bauhaus playing in the mall on Halloween. I thought it was pretty neat that they played Bela Lugosi's dead :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor thing :(

    I'm cannot even imagine hearing SoM in a grocery store. Maybe the universe was trying to make your week a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised, I stopped in my tracks in the middle of the aisle. I managed to resist the urge to sing along. ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh, wow, I hope your back is feeling better now!! And that's awesome about the music, I wish OUR Lucky's would play Sisters sometime. I was visiting my mom at the nursing center this weekend, and they were playing all this music that I remember from the 70s and 80s. It was hilarious listening to "Shake Your Booty" in a nursing home!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Quite an incongruous soundtrack indeed.

      Delete
  4. Hope things are getting better on all fronts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! Hope you are feeling better now. Good that you are getting your other concerns sorted, even if they do impact on the work load beastie.

    Take care. Jane (breakingtheangel.wordpress.com, having an utter nightmare with posting comments!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am better, thanks. Icing my back seemed to do the trick, and the pain only lasted about a day.

      Delete
  6. Best experience I've had with Sisters of Mercy while shopping is walking into a thrift shop which had just put up a new rack of nothing but black clothing, and as I walked through the door it "This Corrosion" started playing - the choral bit right at the moment. It was like a chorus of Goth angels had picked that out for that perfect moment. I even got a half-hearted sunbeam illuminating the rail of black clothes. Shop assistant was really confused when I burst out laughing, and I had to explain. I walked away with three really nice blouses that day - all VERY Goth-y :P I think that's all of my allotted Goth epic moments for my lifetime used up in one big ball of happy cliche.

    I hope your back is feeling better soon :)

    ReplyDelete