Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Daily Done: June 9-12

On June 9, I transferred my computer files to my new laptop. I finally replaced my 8-year-old Sony Vaio, which had slowed to a frustrating snail's pace and was running so scorching hot that I set it on a ventilated stand and kept a small fan blowing directly on it any time it was in use.

I actually replaced it a few weeks ago with a Dell... which turned out to be a lemon. :( It made my Vaio look like a cheetah and refused to run any program other than its library of 100+ apps (about 3 of which were useful to me). After spending hours Googling the error messages (on my Toshiba Chromebook, which I LOVE), I finally accepted that there was something really wrong with this machine and then spent more time purging all my files so I could return it. I was afraid I'd have to fight with the store to take it back, but the manager was super helpful. She even checked her inventory and pulled from the stockroom a $650 HP Pavilion which she sold to me for $289. :D

After working with the HP for a couple weeks to ensure it, too, was not a citrus fruit, I finally transferred all my files. I also caught up on posting, even at long last adding a profile picture to the GIY Facebook page.

One June 10, I went to a social engagement... a very rare occurrence for me. A former coworker hosted Margaritas on the Porch at her home. I was surprised and delighted to receive the invitation, and had a great time.

On June 11, I accomplished a few necessary but utterly un-post-worthy things like grocery shopping and laundry.

One June 12, I vegged. I'd had a tiring week at work. I cooked a hamburger (iron!) and watched a  PBS show "Super Skyscrapers." Because my life is THAT exciting. ;) Then, inexplicably, I was hit with a terrible feeling of emptiness for my dog. In general, I have been handling her loss quite well, but I suddenly felt incredibly sad. So it was off to bed for the tried-and-true remedy of a good night's sleep. Bean Sidhe always enjoyed a nap.

many years ago, on the afghan my mom crocheted for me her granddog
a few months ago, cozy on the warmth of the electric blanket
The second picture is poignant because I feel like I could just reach out and pet her, and she'd rub her face back and forth on the blanket, as was her habit. That's also the precise position I found her in the day she died. I had to look very closely to see that she wasn't breathing. Then I touched her paw and it was cold. Even so, when I picked up her little body, I half expected her to wake up and look at me. But of course she did not.

10 comments:

  1. I am very sorry for your loss my dear. I think you will always feel sad as you will always have a place for her in your heart <3 Give yourself time....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She definitely occupies a special place in my heart, and she always will.

      Delete
  2. It's incredibly hard to lose a furry friend. There are days I think about my late pooch-- he's been gone for 2 years now, and I still water up when I do something I used to do with him.
    Time does make things a little better, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certain things trigger the memories. I accidentally drop a piece of popcorn on the floor... and have to pick it up because my little furry vacuum isn't there to Hoover it up. It's tough sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Oh, what a lovely way to go, though.... comfortable, in bed, at home, near people who love you. May we all be so lucky when we take our leave of this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. She and I were both incredibly fortunate. She slipped away cozy in her bed, and I can bear the loss much better knowing that her end was peaceful.

      Delete
  4. I still have not replaced my laptop, using boyfriend's computer, although i miss having my own!

    Aw, it must be so hard missing your sweet fur baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard sometimes. The house still doesn't feel right without her in it.

      Delete
  5. She still loves you. You gave her soul happiness and peace. She'll be back for you in a young puppy body :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe with less determination to chew the wallpaper off the walls this time. ;)

      Delete