Tuesday, February 18, 2014

More Push for New Plates

As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, people have been interpreting my bat-covered car as a Batman car ever since Bane was the featured villain in the latest Batman movie. The logical solution is to get new license plates.

Since then, two more incidents have encouraged that solution. Both happened at a stoplight.

In one, the car stopped behind me contained a teenage driver and a passenger who was probably his father. In my rearview mirror, I could see the teen point excitedly to my car and say something to Dad. Dad looked a bit confused, so Teen cupped his hand over his mouth. Pretty obvious who he was imitating. ;)
Bane (image source)
In the other, which happened just two days after my Batty Car post, I was sitting at a stoplight when a large pickup truck driven by some idiot who thought his phone call deserved more attention than the 6,000-pound projectile he was supposed to be controlling connected with the back of my car.

My reactions to this:
AGAIN!? What is wrong with people!? (This was the second time a phone-talking idiot drove his/her vehicle into the back of mine while I was sitting perfectly still at a stoplight.)
Calm down. If you put your boot through his teeth, you'll get blood on your skirt. (Now, I'm generally pretty placid; I don't have much of a temper. But I have ZERO patience for people who can't be bothered to pay attention when they're driving. ZERO. Seriously, how hard is it to not hit a stationary car? I was livid.)

I got out of my car (by the way, it was five below (about -20 C) that morning) and was immediately bombarded with "I am sooooo sorry."

He was also soooo lucky.

Incredibly lucky. Like go-immediately-buy-lottery-tickets lucky.

The only damage was to my license plate.

It seems the universe is telling me to get new plates. ;)

If only Colorado didn't have the most uninspired license plate design of all 50 states...
bleh

18 comments:

  1. I'm happy that nothing happened to you in the accident! I keep my fingers crossed that you get the plate you wish for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I'm glad you're okay! :) So...you can have custom license plates in the States? It's pretty cool to begin with, even if the Colorado plates look kinda boring...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It varies from state to state. I don't see a lot of custom plates in Colorado because the process is tedious and about 15 years out of date (you have to mail in a paper request). In contrast, Virginia has a website where you can order custom plates with just a few clicks; I saw custom plates constantly when I lived there.

      Delete
  3. Australian Licence plates are boring, bright yellow, often with silly slogans for the states. Nooo. Someone down the road has B0W11E or something similar (one of the 1s might be an I) I get excited everytime I see it even though I know it's not David's car.

    It must be frustrating for you. Even though Bane is a cool character, it must be frustrating feeling like he has kind of stolen your identity. I kind of get that with the one other Laura Morrigan out there, especially when Goodreads accidentally credited her with my story it got fixed up).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most US states have a slogan as well. Many are silly, but the one on Washington, DC plates is pretty cool -- "taxation without representation." Washington, DC does not have representatives in Congress, but Washington, DC residents do pay taxes. Thus "taxation without representation," something the constitution expressly forbids... but still happens in the capital.

      A B0W11E plate! That's awesome! :D

      Yikes, that would be awful to have your work credited to someone else. Glad it got corrected!

      My first name is extremely common and it's annoying being mixed up with someone else all the time. (For example, there are two others at my current job, and I constantly get email meant for one of them.) And now there's another Bane. I just can't win. :P

      Delete
  4. Godness I'm happy that you didn't get a whiplash injure in the neck by this accident. Have you decided what your license plate will say yet?
    I think the Colorado license plate looks nice. We don't have any decorations at all just white background and black letters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the truck was barely moving when it hit me.

      I have a few ideas. Something like LUVBATS or YAYBATS or BATTY would make sense with the bat decals. RABIES would be darkly funny, but I don't want to encourage people's misunderstanding and fear of bats.

      Delete
  5. LOL Good thing you and your car are okay! I kind of like the CO plates.. NY is pretty boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colorado recently rolled out a new logo for the state, and I'm curious to see if the license plates will be changed. Of course, the logo is a green mountain with white letters, so it's not likely to be a big change. :P

      Delete
  6. There are too many cars in California for me to get any of the clever plates I want. I always wanted "OUTLIER," because who doesn't like statistics jokes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one! I like statistics jokes even though I'm not a mean person.

      Delete
    2. Two statistics jokers with an affinity for bats! What are the odds?

      Delete
  7. Nothing makes more furious than someone putting on make up or texting while driving-- it's good that you didn't get hurt, but I would be quite livid as well and I don't even drive! Heh.

    Y'know, I never saw quite as many vanity plates as I've seen when I moved here. I guess not many people from Calgary are too interested in snazzy plate numbers, heheh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People do the craziest things behind the wheel. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only driver on the road who is paying attention to driving. :P

      I felt that way when I moved to Virginia. Seemed like everyone had a vanity plate!

      Delete
  8. 666 BAT is probably too cliche, but it fits the triple number - triple letter layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to add that today I saw a car with 666 TYM. Evil time! ;)

      Delete