Friday, June 7, 2013

Red & Black Day 6: Tee Skirts

For day 6 of Red & Black Week, a tutorial on turning a tee shirt into a skirt.

Most of us have a band tee or 10, and often they're not very figure flattering. You can take in the waist, cut off the neckband, and so forth to make a better fitting shirt. Another option is to turn the tee shirt into a tee skirt.

Before you begin, be sure you know your hip measurement. The waistband of the skirt will need to be large enough to fit over your hips.

Grab your tee shirt. For the first example, I had a VNV Nation tee.

I also had a striped tee.

Cut off the neckband and sleeves, leaving as much of the body of the tee as possible. Cut up the sides to separate front from back.

Now you will cut the tee(s) and other fabric (if applicable) into the skirt pieces. The number and shape of the pieces will depend on the style skirt you're going for. You will likely cut triangular shapes with flat tops and possibly rounded bottoms. Wider triangles and more pieces will create fuller skirts.

Important: The total measurement of all the triangle tops must be at least as large as your hip measurement.

For this example, I made a fairly close-fitting A-line skirt. It's made up of four triangular pieces -- front, back and two sides.


Stitch the pieces together.

Measure around the top of the skirt and make a waistband to that measurement. (See the Turn a Dress into a Skirt post if you need instructions on making a waistband.)

Hem/finish the bottom. In this example, I added black lace.

Done!


For the second example, I had an i:Scintilla tee. I planned to make a skirt with this tee, so I bought the largest size (men's XL) to give me plenty of fabric to work with.

Because I had a large tee, I was able to use the bottom half of a dress pattern to cut the fabric. (Tee is folded in half in the picture below.)

I wanted a longer, fuller skirt, so I cut a total of six triangles -- three for the front and three for the back. The middle front and middle back were cut from the front and back of the tee. The other pieces were cut from plain black knit fabric. (Alas, it wasn't quite the same black as the tee. :P )

I sewed on the waistband and added grommet trim.

Done!

32 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I need to try this next time I have a shirt to spare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very nice examples of making skirts out of band tees :). I use to make skirts out of my spouse shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've seen men's button-up shirts turned into cute ladies' skirts (or little girls' dresses). I'd like to try it sometime. :)

      Delete
  3. I never thought to try this! I have many, many shirts from my teenage years that I bought in sizes far too large that I can't bear to part with. Thanks, my project list wasn't nearly long enough already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in that last sentence? ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh, never thought about it, but it's now in my "must try" list :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see the undoubtedly adorable result if you do. :D

      Delete
  5. This is a great idea, I was thinking most people wouldn't be able to wear a skirt made of a t-shirt, but adding the extra panels makes it work. Yay! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm certainly too big to wear a skirt made of a tee (unless it's sumo wrestler size!), but add in some extra fabric and ta-da! :D

      Delete
  6. Those are awesome! It makes me want to go cut up all my t-shirts! But then I wouldn't have any shirts...there are always plenty of skirts at thrift stores but I have a harder time with tops. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have the opposite situation. I'm very limited in the top styles I can wear, so I have better luck finding (or making) skirts. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm totally trying this!
    So cool! Specially for those non fitting shirts lying around! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Merchandise tables at concerts always seem to stock about 6 ladies' tees, which of course sell out immediately, and 400 XXL men's tees... so I always end up with a shirt I could fit in twice. This is a good solution for that. :)

      Delete
  8. This is such a cool idea, if I didn't already have so many skirts and not enough shirts I would try this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now I'm thinking about ways to turn a skirt into a top... Hmmm... :)

      Delete
  9. Wow, these are awesome, such a creative idea! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow these are a lot nicer than the diys I used to do. i used to just force my legs through the head hole and tie the sleeves into a bow...lol these are MUCH nicer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! Well, there is something to be said for simplicity! Though bringing out the sewing machine does give one more style options. ;)

      Delete
  11. Kewl, must make one someday when flea market gods are favourable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always look through the men's tees at the thrift store. Around here, most of them are from cycling events or half marathons. But someday I'll find a good one!

      Delete
  12. Oh, it's really beautiful ! And such good ideas !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is beyond cool! What a way to transform your old t-shirts into a brand new skirt. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, I have that same VNV shirt. ;) Oddly enough, it fits me nicely but their Judgement shirt dies NOT. Hmm... It's definitely going to become a DIY project soon.

    These ideas are brilliant, and you never cease to amaze me with your creativity and skills. Thank you for not only contributing some of my favorite Red & Black Week posts this year but also for staying with us all six days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! It's been a fun week. Thanks for hosting this great theme. :)

      Delete
  15. I'm sure I have some grommet trim around somewhere ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! I can't find grommet trim anywhere though, and I've actually been searching since last year. Am I doing something wrong? I only find the stuff for curtains. Please help me, I need it for a dozen projects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Try searching for "eyelet tape." I got mine at cheeptrims.com. It's very inexpensive there, but you have to buy 100 yards.

      Delete