Thursday, June 13, 2013

Monthly Homework Assignment: Polka Dots


The Professor's homework assignment for June is polka dots. I had hoped to feature a dress, but as noted in my last post, that was not to be. Instead, it's another skirt. But at least it is a new pattern...

McCall's 5431

This pattern is for a 3/4 circle skirt with yoke and back zipper. It has options for two lengths, a contrast band and/or pockets. It's labeled "Quick & Easy," which is an accurate description. The 3/4 circle style is nice because it provides plenty of fullness without requiring as much fabric as a circle skirt.

I used view C (shown in pink above) but unfortunately had to omit the pockets because I did not have enough fabric. I also modified the skirt to take an elastic waistband because I'm not at my usual size and elastic waists are much easier to take in. It works with the elastic but would definitely look much better with the yoke and zipper. I trimmed the bottom with red polka dot ribbon to match the skulls' bandannas.


Overall, I am very pleased with this pattern. I will definitely pull it out again when I can use it with a zipper and pockets, and try it with the contrast band as well.

2 comments:

  1. HA! What an awesome take on the theme - skully polkadots! BRILLIANT. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D The fabric with pirate skulls in red polka dot bandannas was too cute to pass up.

      Delete