Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Uncle Sam Bought Me a Roof

And new gutters!  Well, not really.  But Uncle Sam did return my money via a $1700 income tax refund, and coincidentally, the insurance deductible for the roof plus the cost of the new gutters was about $1600.  How 'bout that?!  Sometimes things work out. :)

It's fun to look at a little retrospective of the changes over time.  The house looked like this in May 2010, a few months after I purchased it.  Only the garage door had been replaced.

February 2011: Tree removed (it had broken under a heavy snow), minor changes to the landscaping, basketball goal removed, new windows

September 2011: Tree stump removed, new door, unused chimney cut down and boxed in, exterior painted

May 1, 2012: Faux chimney removed, new roof, new gutters


The yard has been sadly neglected, partly because I've concentrated on spiffing up the exterior of the house and partly because I was so overwhelmed with the desperate state of the yard that I didn't know where to start.  I was rescued by a wonderful co-worker, who has generously given me her time and advice, as well as free plants from her garden.  I am so grateful!  :)  Yesterday, she and her son planted a little tree for me as the first step in bringing life back to my grave yard (pun intended).

Coincidentally, my Colorado state tax refund was just enough to cover the cost of the tree, soil and fertilizer. ;)

17 comments:

  1. Your front door needs stripes. STRIPEY FRONT DOOR! Please ignore me, I've lost my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The front door definitely needs something. Why not stripes!? I like stripes. :)

      Delete
  2. Even with the bare yard, the house looks so much better! What a happy coincidence that your refund covered the deductible! I understand how overwhelming a neglected yard can be.. I spent an entire summer digging up weeds and overgrown shrubs from my own yard. Luckily those ten year old dandelion clusters with five-foot roots are good for the soil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's amazing how large the roots of weeds and trees are. A major hurdle with my front yard was that it was full of huge roots from the 30-year-old spruce tree. I had to get help digging them out before I could plant a new tree.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I take it the contractor resolved the issue with the water damage? New roof looks great. What a difference from the first photo to the last! Can't wait to see the new baby plants in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, the storm that soaked the plywood roof lasted only a few minutes, and the wood dried quickly so there wasn't any permanent damage. Plants will be nice. :) I need to perk up the grass, too. I prefer to conserve water, but it's a small lawn and a little water will make a big difference.

      Delete
  4. You did a great job with your house! I can clearly see the improvement, and the roof looked awesome. I’m looking forward to the renovation of your yard. Trees will definitely bring life to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I look forward to having some color and life in the yard.

      Delete
  5. Gotta love tax returns! The house is coming along nicely, can't wait to see what you do with the lawn! Maybe some skeleton flamingos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would certainly fit in with the yard's current (and entirely unintentional) "death" theme. ;)

      Delete
  6. Some flowers on your front yard can definitely give your house more character. The part about selecting flowers can be fun. Choose those that will blend nicely with the look you are after. Anyway, congratulations on the new roof and gutters. Your house is looking more beautiful through the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are so many beautiful flowers, it's hard to choose. The most important criteria is whether they can withstand my black thumb.

      Delete
  7. I love the changes you’ve made! It’s a good thing you’ve made changes to your roof. Since it is your house’s first line of defense, it always has to be tough. Good luck to your tree and flower planting project, hehe! I wish all the best to you and your backyard. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yey! There’s really a feeling of satisfaction when you look at the beautiful changes you’ve made to your home over time. I especially like your roof’s color as it perfectly complements the entire house. Just be sure to inspect and maintain it regularly to prolong its lifespan. Good luck on your lawn project, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Those are such big improvements! Kudos! Your new house paint looks appealing and complements the yard better. Starting a garden is a good idea indeed because of its healthy benefits for your body, mind and soul. It helps you relax and relieve stress.

    Adam Waterford

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! The home improvements have gone so well! You definitely did a great job in choosing the shade of your roof and wall. Now it looks very fresh and modern. By the way, have finished with your yard project? Keep us updated! =)v

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m pretty sure you can work at the yard anytime, Bane. :D You did a great job in replacing the roofs and the paint job of the house! Now that your house has a dark shade, I agree with Mariam that adding flowers on your yard will give your lot a whole new character. You have a lot of space to work on; it’s going to be fun! I’m excited for you. :)

    ReplyDelete