Tuesday, April 17, 2012

DIY Laptop Stand

While I love my desk - a solid wood piece I scored for free - it's a little bit low for use as a computer desk.  To raise my laptop to more comfortable height, I made a stand for it.  I used a metal thing which I can best describe as a tray on legs that I found at a thrift store for around $3.  As with many of my projects, step one was to spray paint it black.
tray on legs
bottom of tray showing original brown color
I used a piece of cork to make a top.  Heavy cardboard would also work.  I covered the cork in black fabric pulled taut and stapled to the back.  To keep the top in place on the tray, I applied two strips of double-stick carpet tape.


I placed the fabric-covered cork on top.  Ta-da!  Laptop stand!

The stand raises my laptop a few inches.  In theory, it would also help protect the laptop if I ever spilled a drink on my desk.  I hope not to test this theory.

Surprise bonus: The curled foot works as cord management. ;)


UPDATE:
Mary Rose makes an excellent point in her comment about overheating. Instead of a fabric-covered top, you could use a piece of plywood or even an appropriately sized cooling rack.  Paired with a tray with open sides, this would provide excellent ventilation.
cooling racks

devour treats first :)  source


16 comments:

  1. Clever, pretty, and useful! Love it!

    (One question though: do you find that the fabric pressed to the underside makes the laptop become hot at all? I've heard of overheating when you leave laptops on fabrics, such as bedspreads, for too long, and wondered what you thought.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have not noticed any overheating. I sized the top so that the laptop overhangs by an inch or two, leaving at least part of the bottom ventilation grid uncovered. And I rarely do any complicated computing, so the processor isn't working too hard. To alleviate the concern, you could make the top from a piece of wood, a cooling rack, or some combination of the two.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Very clever! And SO stylish. I may have to plagerize your idea. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! That's exactly why I post the ideas - for people to use (and no doubt improve upon, in many cases!). :)

      Delete
  3. Way to improvise! I think I need to keep your "paint it black" idea in my head when I go thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my thrifting core value. ;) I focus on the shape or design of items, knowing that most can be painted black.

      Delete
  4. Whooooaaaa. Yes...yes...YES! I've seen so many things I want to paint black...*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I constantly find things I want to paint black. I collect them in my "to be painted" box and periodically have myself a paint-fest. :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brilliant! At the moment I use a shelf on a bookshelf for a desk and it is a bit low. I also have a problem with over heating on my laptop. Something like this would be the perfect solution. Except I would try to put in cooling fans I think..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you had a deeper tray or box, you could probably work out a way to put in a cooling fan.

      Delete
  7. What a clever idea! I have the severe problem with my laptop that it's overheating. My boyfriend made a stand my laptop with a fan (from another computor) built in. So it's very noisy. I think your stand looks far more better ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising how much noise those little fans can make! I didn't realize overheating was such a common problem.

      Delete
  8. lovely idea! and also the addition, yes maybe it would be less 'dangerous' this way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh.... I should make one of those. My dad used to think I was insane because I like to stack boxes under my laptop to raise it high enough to not have to slouch when using it. Something like this might look a little nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And come to think of it, it reminds me of the Steampunk Laptop picture that was going around a while ago...

    ReplyDelete