Somewhat out of scale with the rest of my small house, my bedroom closet is huge, about 6' x 8'. I'd given all the closets a fresh coat of white paint before moving in, but I felt it was time for this one to have a bit of color (and for me, color usually means purple). To keep the space bright enough -- choosing black clothes in a dark space is seriously annoying -- I chose a pale purple (Behr's "Rhapsody Lilac").
But as with most projects in my house, repairs were needed first. In the closet are two holes for access to plumbing and ductwork. To prevent the wallboard cutouts from falling back into the holes, a thin frame had been added. But this didn't keep the larger panel from falling out into the closet. It kept spontaneously leaping out of the hole, including once in the middle of the night with a surprisingly loud crash that scared the bejeezus out of me.
To prevent further nighttime scares, I made a sturdier panel that would stay in place. I cut a piece of plywood a few inches larger than the wallboard and glued the two together with construction adhesive, making sure to match the sides properly so the wallboard would fit back into the
|I was surprised to discover the adhesive was lavender|
|wallboard glued to plywood|
On to the painting at last! Painted the same color as the walls, the panel is almost invisible.
|it's not really a two-tone paint job - the overhead light skewed the color of the photo|
|this photo is a better representation of the wall color|